Lincoln / Broadway Street History

Lincoln Street / Broadway Notables

Lincoln Street and Broadway have always been the place where the innovators and go-getters have resided. From early on when Thomas Skerritt wanted a road to get to downtown Denver, he built one himself. Mrs. Stover's wanted a place to sell her homemade "Bungalow" candies and she made Broadway one of her first store fronts. The story of Lincoln Street and Broadway is one to be proud of and has always brought the greatest. You are part of this history as well!

Take the Lincoln/Broadway Historic Self- Guided Walking Tour

Join the Local History Club

Want to learn more? Attend our Monthly History Club where you can also share your unique stories with the group.

Zoom information for the event: 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm. 

Meeting ID: 883 0840 5331 

Passcode: 057617 

In 1871, the dirt path street of South Broadway (south of Cherry Creek) was graded and improved by Thomas Skerritt who cultivated apple orchards in Englewood near the present day site of S. Broadway and Hampden Ave. Skerritt wanted the road improved for farmers living to the south of Denver to enable them to bring their agricultural products into Denver. Shade trees were planted along the length of Broadway from Cherry Creek to Jewell Ave. after Skerrit improved the road. The right-of-way on Broadway is 100 ft. That right-of-way was established on August 31, 1898 “to form a thoroughfare of full and uniform width of 100 feet”, hence the name.” Broadway.”(1). Without Skerritt's forethought and considerable improvements, the area of South Broadway that we know today would not have been possible. There would not be streetcars, horsecars, electric buses, or even the notable shopping district that we have come to know a love. 

Image Source: The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call Number X-27902 & X-27903 

Did you know?  Russell Stover's Candies got their start on South Broadway?  In 1923 Clara and Russell Stover begin making candy in the kitchen of their Denver bungalow home at 960 Detroit Street. (1). They opened their first store at 7 Broadway Street (seen here). The company, initially employing seven employees, is first known as Mrs. Stover's Bungalow Candies. The Stovers used their meager earnings, to create their own candy company. Through their successes and failures, they were now prepared to officially run a successful candy business. Russell and Clara Stover began to build factories in Denver and Kansas City, Missouri.(1) In 1931, the Russell Stover Company headquarters was moved to Kansas City, increasing its output, from 20,000 to 11 million pounds, of candy production. In 1943, Mrs. Stover's Bungalow Candies was renamed "Russell Stover Candies".(2)  


Image Source: The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call Number X-23926 

Did you know?   In the 1920’s John C Rubright of 162 South Lincoln sponsored to build the substantial structure that was previously known as the Royal Market at 105 South Broadway. The Royal Market was a set of 42 stalls where small merchants could rent space. The space had separated meat, vegetable and fruit sections and was the precursor to the modern grocery store. (1) The building was home to such chain stores as Safeway, Gamples, and Skaggs before it emerged as the ‘People furniture” which sold furniture and general electric appliances. When it moved out in 1976, the landlord boarded up the architecturally distinguished structure. Soon after a new tenant renovated the interior into an elaborate bath house which was open 24 hours a day and called itself the “Ballpark Health Club”.  Advertisements listed it having a rock-hewn lagoon, a hidden cave, and 30 foot high waterfall. It had several bars and lounges and private rooms. To provide discretion, you would enter in the alley. (1)


Though this little dilapidated building next to Kitties South was hated by most nearby residents, the owners of the Ballpark Health Club helped create a better tomorrow for those in the LBGTQ+ community. The Ballpark’s legacy? Consider today’s healthcare and support to research for AIDS. Thirty years ago, none of this existed until the Ballpark owners and grassroots activists nationwide raised a shattering ruckus. The queer community has won much since 1983, and the Ballpark’s contribution isn’t an inflated claim.  Co-owner Paul Hunter, who died of AIDS in 1991, became Mayor Federico Pena’s liaison to city departments and legal counselor to the coalition. Since 1993, his namesake award for uncommon service to the LGBT community has been given by the Colorado Human Rights Campaign to several in the community. The Ballpark fought fear by urging citizens to lobby President Reagan, Gov. Richard Lamm, Sen. Gary Hart, and Rep. Pat Schroeder to vote for AIDS bills. Pre-printed postcards were included in a packet handed out at community events. Co-Owner Tim Miller said “When you're fighting for your life, you'd better know who your friends are. We promise to be leaders in providing a better understanding and to present the most up-to-date and honest information available regarding the AIDS crisis. There are some who will mistake our motives and speak against us. Together, we will win.”(2) 

Sources: (1)'The Ghosts of South Broadway”- Phil Goodstein

                 (2)" The lost, last weekend of Denver’s legendary bathhouse, The Ballpark" Rick Kitzman, June 15, 2016,  Site:

Image Source:  The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call Number Rh-745 

Did you know?  John L. Dailey was the co-founder of the Rocky Mountain News, along sides William Byers. The newspaper was founded on April 23, 1859. John Lewis Dailey was a pioneer Denver, Colo. publisher, printer, businessman, and politician. He was born on Nov. 29, 1833 in Tiffin, Ohio. Dailey came with the William N. Byers party to Denver (1859) and co-founded The Rocky Mountain News with Byers, Dr. George Monell, and Thomas Gibson. He later sold his interest in the News to Byers (1870) and began his own printing and binding business, Dailey, Baker & Smart. Dailey became Arapahoe County treasurer (1877-1883) and in the 1880s went into a real estate loan and investment company with his brother, WIlliam M. Dailey (1836-1890). Both John and William Daily had were members of Company A of the 3rd Colorado Cavalry under the command of John M. Chivington during the Sand Creek Massacre (1864).  (1)


Through a presidential land grant of 160 acres (1865), Dailey later developed the Broadway Terrace subdivision in the Baker neighborhood in South Denver. The family home was once located at 425 Broadway. John Dailey was married to Melisa Brown Rounds (ca. 1846-1866) and Helen A. (Manley) Woodbury (1838-1908). He died in Denver, Colo. on Jan. 3, 1908(1).  About 1918, John Dailey’s original residence at 425 Broadway was carved into seven units and called it “Woodlawn Apartments”. For awhile, a gas filling station occupied the NW corner next to the dailey house.  In 1961, Dairyland Mutual Insurance bought the apartment, tore the house down, and replaced it with a modern office building. Fentress Bradburn architecture firm moved into the offices in 1992.  Another developer came and invested $50 million to build the Watermark luxury apartments.(2)

Sources: (1)

(2) The Ghosts of South Broadway”- Phil Goodstein

Image Source: The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call Number X-26391 

Did you Know? Eugenie Putz Underhill (Charpiot)'s story starts in France in 1834. . She and her brothers came over to the US and first settled in Chicago, Illinois where her father, Pierre Charpiot, started the first french hotel on LaSalle Street. Considered the the 'Third women to cross into the Rockies", she arrived by wagon train in 1859 to Denver, she and her Brothers are known as one of the first pioneer families of Colorado.

"Madame Putz" forged her own success as a twice widowed woman in a wild west town and created a wildly successful french millinery and masquerade costume shop on Lawrence street for 11 years. She is known to have supplied Denver's richest ladies with their fine wardrobes. Masquerade balls were all the rage in the 1860’s-1880’s and she traveled took her costumes around Colorado to various cities setting up Mascarade balls in the towns. Her taste and refinement were notable, and she supplied the costumes for the Tabor Opera house's First performance on Opening night. With money from her successful businesses, she invested heavily in real estate, gained a fortune, built a school in Westminster Colorado, eventually settled down at 70 years old and built four houses on the 400 block of S Lincoln- affectionately called the Triplets of Lincoln Street. With no children of her own, she doted on her neice and nephews, setting them up for successful lives by providing them houses of their own. TIn the early days, they all lived next door to each other before at the Charpiot Apartments, and later in the triplets of Lincoln Street for many years. Meanwhile, her other famous brothers, Jacques, Frederick George, Henry and Louis Charpiot also took Denver by storm. Taking after their hotelier father, and created the infamous Charpiot Hotel in downtown denver, Delmonico's of the West, and many other fine french restaurants like "The Capitol" in Denver and Central City over the years. The restaurant and hotel served famous and notables who came to the new west and brought french sophistication to the rough town.  The brothers figured out a way to bring oysters from New Orleans and serve them here. They all invested heavily in mines, although never found the jackpot. In the 1860's Jacque's supplied some of the first wagon trains from Iowa and gained a fortune supplying adventurous families with a way to reach the new Colorado territory. He was part of the Hayden Survey Expedition of 1875 and he believes he was one of the first to rediscover the native cave dwelling ruins in Southern Colorado. Their Nephew, George J was founder of the Charpiot Safe Company. In Eugenie's later years, she offered classes on how to successfully run a business empire in Denver.  The adventurous, and unapologeticly successful Eugenie died at the age of 90 in 1919. 

 It seems everyone in the Charpiot family found some notoriety in Business or reputation. But whatever happened to all of those glorious costumes? 

Image Source: The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection 

Did you know? The Goodheart Builing was built in 1901 by Luke Goodheart who lived at 550 South Lincoln Street. The building was first established as the Broadway Laundry and Towel Supply Company.(1) The iconic chimney with the words "Goodheart Laundry" still remains today. Many people remember the building as as the Goodheart Antiques. Some workers insisted the place was haunted possibly by a ghost of a women who had been killed in a laundry vat in the 1930’s on the 2nd floor.  The 2nd floor had also been a boxing ring and some said that at night it sounded as if old fashioned laundry equipment was grinding away(1).

Sources: “ The Ghosts of South Broadway”- Phil Goodstein

Image: Courtesy of Unique Properties

Did you know? Merchants Park (Owned by the owner of the Merchants Biscuit Company), was the home of baseball, football, bicycle races, circuses, outdoor concerts, and shows for 19 years. 


Clinton A Bowman owned Merchants Biscuit Company. He purchased the vacant park site at South Broadway and Center Ave and was going to make a new Supreme Bakers plant. However he changed his mind and the lot sat idle for two years.  The Denver Baseball company planned to revive the field at Broadway and 6th Ave but found itself scrambling for a new site. Bowman was forced to complete the renovations of his vacant lot or else forfeit the property. Gladly, The Denver Bears returned to professional baseball in 1922, and played at the brand new new park on South Broadway which had now been named “Merchants Park”. Merchants Park was an improved facility, ample enough to host barnstormers like Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, as well as the Denver White Elephants. The park also was home to the prestigious Denver Post Tournament, held each year between non-major league teams. The tournament is notable because it was both integrated and international in scope. An African-American League all star team won the tournament in 1936 behind the play of Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Buck Leonard, and Cool Papa Bell. The next year, an all star team from Mexico won the tournament. The Bears played their final game in Merchants Park in July 1948, and Merchants Park was quickly demolished”(1) The site was turned into Merchants Park Shopping Center. 

Sources: (1) Millie Van Wyke “ The Town of South Denver”

Image: The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call number: Rh-1330 

             The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call number: X-22497 

Did you know? "Affectionately known as "Uncle John" and was referred to as the Father of South Broadway Christian Church. The Church owes its existence to a rather unique set of circumstances. In 1888, John Sutton and his wife, Henrietta, lived near South Broadway and Bayaud Avenue. Henrietta loved flowers and was in her garden that summer when she died at the age of 54. The Reverend Bayard Craig, pastor of Central Christian Church, was called. His words and prayers were a great comfort to the Suttons in the last hours of Henrietta's life. 

One year later in1889, John Sutton called Reverend Craig of the Central Christan Church with a proposal to honor the death of his wife, Henrietta. He offered to donate $12,000 and all of his assets if Reverend Craig would help him start a new church in the South Broadway area.  He made one request, that he be given the use of two rooms in the tower of the church where he could live out the remainder of his days.

The growth of the new church was phenomenal and John Sutton erected a large tent (they called it a "Tabernacle") near his home on South Broadway. For the next 2 years church services were held in the tent and attendance grew to between 500 and 600 people. Heating in the winter months was provided by potbellied stoves. When it rained the people brought umbrellas as the roof was not waterproof. On June 28, 1891, the cornerstone was laid with Colorado Governor John L. Routt officiating at the ceremony. One of the articles placed beneath the stone was the bible of Mrs. Henrietta Sutton. John Sutton died two years later on February 18, 1901, at the age of 81."  Quoted from SBCC 

Sources: (1)

Image Source: Denver Public LIbrary, Digital Collections, Western History  Call Number: CHS-B178 and South Broadway Christian Church's Personal Collection 

Did you know?  Avery and Charlotte Gallup were responsible for much of the lush development of housing in South Denver. Known for building and building greenhouses and subdivision with artisanal wells, it made South Denver an attractive place to live. Avery also built the Gallup- Stanbury Building (A Denver landmark in Larimer square). He had built a large house on twenty acres on the northeast corner of Broadway and Alameda.  The Gallups lived in their “country house” on the land surrounded by gardens until their larger house was built. They planted rare trees, shrubs, and flowers to kept the lawn velvety. They essentially converted the grounds into a magnificent botanical garden modeled after the gardens Avery had seen during his travels to Europe. The Gallups were famous for their lavish parties and guests looked forward to each dazzling new floral arrangement that became the center of attention of each party.(1) Together, Avery and Charlotte developed much of Littleton.

Avery Gallup died in 1894 at the age of 47 and their beautiful mansion on South Broadway was torn down in 1909 and pieces were used to build Charlotte's new home in Littleton. (1)

Sources: (1) "The Spirits of South Broadway" Phil Goodstein


Image:  Source:  Smiley, Jerome. 1901. History of Denver, p. 859 

Did you know?  "Miss Enid Phelps lived on the 400 block of S Lincoln with her Husband William H. Seip. Enid was the daughter of a wealthy lawyer, civil war hero, one of the first pioneers in Denver. She was to wed William H. Seip, who was a street car conductor when their acquaintance begun. Seip invested his savings of nine years in an little grocery store at 436 S. Broadway, and if he succeeded in business the wedding would to take place. He would not insist upon the fulfillment of the engagement if it fails, and he said he does not want to touch a penny of the girl's money. Miss Phelps first met Seip on his car about two years ago, while she was on her way to a music class at the Denver University. It is understood that her father had withdrawn objections to the match, as he was poor himself when he was young, and finds much to admire In the handsome young conductor." (1). 

Sources: (1) 

Image: The Denver Public Library, Western History Collection, Call number:         CHS-L184 

Did you know?  After The Gallups sold the greenhouse to John L Russell in 1881, He built twelve more greenhouses on 15 acres on South Fillmore street in university park.  Mr. Russell took great care of the greenhouses and became very successful. One of his commissions was to plant trees and shrubs around the new City Capitol (1). He is often quoted in botanical magazines expressing new methods to plant exotic plants. In 1896, he entered various stages of politics and he became the Chief of Police in Denver, Special agent for the US Land Office, State inspector of Oil, and in his later years, the superintendent for City Parks. It is said that he frequently used his own funds to import shrubs for planning in the city's parks. He is responsible for bringing in the original "George Washington" elm tree. He also brought a tree in City Park relating from Young Shakespeare that came straight from Stratford-on-the-Avon. Check out the tree tour of Washington Park to find some of his accomplishments. 

Sources: (1)

Image: Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Denver, Denver County, Colorado. Sanborn Map Company, Vol. 1, 1890. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <> 

Did you know?  Jane Spikesman immigrated to the US from Ireland in 1878 with her Husband. A time when women had few rights, she became a widow and single mother of four girls but was able to commission the building of her home on the 700 block of S Lincoln street in 1898. In the 1920's she forged a path for herself in the political world of Denver. Her career started as a cleric for the secretary of state, and then in 1920,  she held political power as the Asst. Superintendent for the Colorado Bureau of Free Employment. 

Sources: (1) and "Laws Passed at the Session of the General Assembly of the State, Volume 23"

Image: Google Streets View

Did you know?  The Clow Family built their home at 226 S Lincoln Street in in 1880's. David Clow was one of the prominent mining men and discovered the "Caledonia Lode" in Gilpin County and was instrumental in putting in one of the first hoisting engines. He was associated with Sam Morgan and Mr. Cushman. and They were a farming family with large amounts of land, and at one point had 2600 head of cattle before his death in 1881. His son,  Richard Clow, began working the land business at age 17, developing and selling extensive amounts of land to settlers. He also owned a livery and two star mail routes at that time. (1) 

Sources: (1) History of Colorado, Volume 2 By Wilbur Fiske Stone

Image:  Image Source: Denver Public LIbrary, Digital Collections, Western History  Call Number: X-29778 

Did you know?  Foskitt H Ustick, a Burlington Railroad man of 45 years, he worked his way up to superintendant of all the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad line.  He was one of the best known and most popular railroad executives in the middle west”, in which “Without question many railroad men throughout the country received their first experiences under his direction. If you did your work right, you would have no better friend on the line than Harry Ustick. The powers that be- who were wise in their generation- soon learned the sort of a man they had hunting coal cars about the Bevier yards and they called him higher.".  He owned a house on the 800 block of South Lincoln, but traveled back and forth by rail to St. Louis.  

The building at 1404 South Broadway was built by him and his son and at the top has his intials.

        To honor “Harry’s” legacy, the BRHS postings and the C, B & Q Railroad in Kansas city, took the original Harlem interlocking at the junction of the main lines from Cameron and St. Joseph and in 1925, renamed it Ustick interlocking after F. H. Ustick.  A control tower was later put there and named Ulstick Tower, then more recently that was torn down and everything was automated, but the Ustick name was retained

Sources: (1)  The Macon Republican (Macon, Missouri) · 25 Oct 1913,

 Image Source: Denver Public LIbrary, Digital Collections, Western History  Call Number: OP-3705

Did you know?  J.J. Butefish was a well known Police Sergeant within Denver until 1930 and his son, Howard Butefish, followed in his footsteps as a detective. This was during a period of significance in the early days of Denver, in which crime and unsultry behavior were common. . The men of the police force between the late 1800’s and early 1900’s had many critical issues to deal with including  prohibition, prostitution, the battles of liquor licenses and the limiting of saloons and road houses. J.J Butefish is noted for his police work by Sam Howe, who famously documented the workings of crime in Denver until he retired from the police force in 1921.Butefish was involved in several high profile cases that lead to arrests of murderers,  including the cases of the Bryan Brothers and John White. Butefish began his service with Chief Dan Dulany as well as Chief Hamilton Armstrong, who famously replaced Sam Howe as the Chief. Howard Butefish is documented in several newspapers within the Denver Public Library as a celebrated detective. Howard was involved in the investigations of the United Airlines crash in 1955, amongst other high profile cases at the time. 

Sources: (1)  Woodland Daily Democrat, CA Sept 22, 1931

Image Source:  Image Source: Denver Public LIbrary, Digital Collections, Western History  Call Number: RMN-026-0367

Did you know?  In 1910, Ernest Stabenow was a bartender and manager of the "Majestic bar" during the rise of prohibition.  He was a chair for the Bartenders Union and the National Hotel and Restaurant workers unions to and fought for better workers wages, and lobbied to fight prohibition in several states.  In a bit of frustration after the prohibition order passed, he left the industry and said " I don't care if the county runs dry". He severed his connections with the liquor business and began work at the Ford Assembly factory close to where he lived on the 800 block of South Lincoln. Many others, like Stabenow helped make working conditions and minimum wage a reality for all. 

Sources: (1)  Union Labor Bulletin - 1910-1915

Image Source: The Macon Republican (Macon, Missouri) · 25 Oct 1913

Did you know? The Town of South Denver began in 1886 as a legal maneuver to keep Denver’s “liquor element” from expanding south. It ended eight years later when the town was annexed into the city of Denver. (1). Arthur Pierce, seeing that the new town needed it's own newspaper, was the Co-Founder of the "South Denver Eye" - a weekly newspaper. The South Denver Eye set up their final shop at 130 Broadway which included its printing press. The home still stands today.

Sources: (1)  Source: "South Denver History Runs Deep" - June 4th, 2008-

Image Source: South Denver Eye - 1890 - Private collection of South Broadway Christian Church

Did you know?   Wilberforce Whiteman was a member of the South Broadway Christian Church and was their first music director. He was also the head of music for the Denver public school system. His son, Paul Whiteman became obsessed with music at a young age. By 1916 he started with the Denver Symphony Orchestra as first chair.  His father wanted him to be better and not play any of that Jazz music. Only serious music! So at 17, Paul left Denver to move to San Francisco where he was able to acquire a position in the viola section of the San Francisco Pan Pacific Exposition orchestra. By the end of the 1920’s he was the biggest name in the music business with press notices referring to him as the “King of Jazz” right next to Louis Armstrong.The biggest hits of his career were “Three o'clock in the morning”, and “Linger Awhile”. He became a household name while hosting several television shows in the 40’s and 50’s.

Image Source:

Did you know?  In 1882, built on the north side of Virginia at the corner of Lincoln at Virginia Ave. San Souci was Intended as a traditional beer garden. It was the brainchild of Walter von Richtofen, Denver’s castle-loving Prussian Baron. To boost poor attendance, the nobleman worked with Loveland (a railroad promoter for the Circle Railroad) and decided to introduce a night for the “sporting element,” which was a euphemism for the underworld that included gamblers, pimps, and prostitutes. Denver had its fair share of this sort, and plenty more respectable but curious citizens were also in attendance. While mild to start, the night would become legendary for its booze-fueled sex and brawling. The ‘big night at Souci,’ from all reports, formed one of the striking bits of conversation around Denver for a long time after, but it was carried on quietly between the men. The Baron was suitably embarrassed by their new reputation as a proprietor of sin, and such invitations to work with Loveland were not extended again.⁵

San Souci flourished until 1887. Afterwards, instead of the seductive roadhouse signs, a large sign with the words “ Episcopal mission” was posted instead. This is where the nun Sister Eliza’s first mission began. She conducted Sunday services, meetings, children's sewing and industry classes in the San Souchi building. The building unfortunately burnt down in 1893 and became known as Sans Souci Park. The lovely grounds were used for picnics and outdoor parties for many years afterwards by locals. Rumor has it, A neighbor who lived in one of the duplexes where San Souci used to be even unearthed a small tunnel in his basement that contained the decomposed remains of what looked like a corset. Could it have been evidence of San Souci’s past?⁵

Image Source: Denver Public Library Special Collections  Call Number: C-94  “National Mining and Industrial Exposition Building”

Image Source:  Denver Public Library Special Collections  Call Number: C-94  “National Mining and Industrial Exposition Building”

Did you know?   Movie houses became big in Denver in 1916. Pioneer Showman DeWitt C Webber chose to build his “Webber’s show” on South Broadway to rival Curtis street’s status as “movie row”. In 1916, an issue of “Moving Picture World” described his 1000 seat theater as cubist in design and constructed of ornamental stucco. It was embellished with French Doors and Bronze balconies. The interior boasted an aquarium with a background of mermaids painted on turquoise velvet and a water fountain sculptured in the form of a woman's head with water bubbling alluringly from her lips” “Even when the fancy Mayan opened just a few years later at 110 Broadway, some movie fans still preferred the Webber, because it was one of the first theaters in the city with an effective air-conditioning system” You can still see the old architecture of the theater that Archetype distillery now owns today.

In this vacant lot next to the old Webber Theatre was a building first known as the Royal Market.


Image Source: Denver Public Library Special Collections  Call Number: Z-10221 - “Webber Theater”